Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Night Owls and Wayward Pooches

So, there I was, driving home from work last night. Remembered that I had to drop off my DVD rental in the post box. I pull into the Post Office driveway, no one around, I mean who's going to be there, its almost 1:30 in the freaking morning, right..well I'm there, but that's just me, and I have a bad habit of putting things off til the last minute because I procrastinate. Then again, that's just me..

Whatever..
Back to the subject. So, my Post Office has this wrap around driveway that leads to the drop off post boxes, pull right up and dump off your mail without getting out of the car. Talk about convenience. Well I pull up to the post box, and I'm ready to send off my Netflix DVD (that's something for another day..ugh!) and sitting right there on the box is this Owl! I almost hit the damn thing! It was just chilling out enjoying the night air, no bigger than a pigeon. Scared the bejuzzus out of me..HA HA! Really, who expects to see wildlife sitting on the post box?
Since moving to Arizona, I've come in contact with nature many times..I've had a Road Runner race my car. Seen a Coyote in the cotton fields across from my housing area.
Saw four Vultures light in the fields across the way from the airport down the way from my home. Been buzzed by a Hawk while walking my dog ( she was none too happy about that, I'll have you know..). Been visited by lizards more times than I can count
and one night something, don't know what the hell it was, but it was big, flew from the top of my air conditioning unit and off into the night! Still trying to figure what that was.
Have yet to have a run in with the standard denizens, Scorpions and snakes..though the exterminator did find a very large and, to use his words, "ballsy" Wolf spider, in my back yard when he came out to spray..said he actually had to kill it the old fashioned way...he stepped on it! Hey whatever works.
I mean last night after the Owl run in, I also ran into two stray Pit bulls..who looked so lost, no collars, and were not the vicious, snarling brutes the media likes to portray them as, they were just two lost puppies..who got out of their back yard..
I stopped the truck, rolled down the window, and said "Go home babies..what are you doing out? go on, go home"..
They sat there next to my door, looking at me as if to say, "oh, OK..sorry, just out taking the night air..bye". and off they went..
I did the responsible thing and contacted the authorities. I mean last thing I needed to hear was that two dogs got shot because someone woke and freaked out because he saw them when he was going out to his car..ya know? I wouldn't be able to look my Dottie Ann in the face if that happened..and in Goodyear, the Animal control will not come out late at night..Sissy's.
So that's the AZ..strange, wondrous, and in all its wild glory..yeah, I know..but hey, what do you want..
Peace.



No comments:

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda...Says who?

     So, I watch this program on NBC called "American Ninja Warrior" its a fun show that showcases agility, fitness, at...