Saturday, August 13, 2016

If it's August, it must be Rio, and that means......



That's right folks, it Olympic fever time! I don't know about you, but I do enjoy me some Olympic games. Whether its Soccer, Boxing, Volleyball, Basketball, Swimming, Gymnastics, Track & Field, it doesn't matter, I enjoy watching the competition, and this years games have been all about competition, controversy and excitement!
History has been made in the first week of the games, what with Michael Phelps doing what he does best, and Katie Ladecky sweeping the competition away...they might as well write "SEE YA!" on the bottom of their feet for all the others to read as they see them swim away...I'm loving it. (Yeah I stole your tag line Mickey D's, boo hoo..).
That wasn't what I found most impressive, as I said, history was made this week, by this young lady,
Simone Manual, when she became the first African American woman to win a gold medal in swimming

OK, she tied for first with the Canadian swimmer, but that's not the point. the point is SHE WON A FUCKING GOLD MEDAL!! Damn right! and she made her country proud. She's awesome! And she's living breathing history! That's right boys and girls, she will forever be in the annals of time. And no one can take that away from you, Ms. Manual...And she's from TEXAS! I have a few friends from Texas, and I'm sure they love that point. 

Also on the historic front, there was another first this week...Fiji, you know that little island nation that everyone who has the bucks, goes to, to for a honeymoon? Well, they decided to get out there on the rugby field and do something they've never done. Win a gold medal! 
I mean damn, whoda thunk it? they ran with the big boys and said "Kiss my ass!" we ain't no backwards island boys...We're a nation, dammit and we're here to win! and win they did. They knocked off the British lion, to take the gold. I'm telling you, this has been a most unexpected week of first. I've seen the Argentinian men's soccer team, get blasted out of medal contention. A once, 8 year old boy, grow up and take the gold away from the man he idolized as child, and these ladies, whom I have the most respect for, the U.S. Women's Soccer team, get knocked out of medal contention, via penalty kicks, no less!
I really sad about that, but this is the Olympics and anything can and does happen. So for the ladies of the US team, competition in Rio is over...There's still the World Cup...and they are the defending champs. Looking forward to watching that.

Now, there's still a week of more games to watch, more Boxing, wrestling, Track & Field, and all the other sports. There will be winners and loser, records broken, and new ones set. And in all this lets do one thing, competitors, if we can. STAY OFF TWITTER! I know you were upset about losing Ms.Solo, but calling the opposing team cowards for winning, well, that was just sour grapes...This is the Olympics, there is a winner and a loser in every sport. They don't give medals for just showing up. You ladies gave it your all, you kicked some major ass, but it was not meant to be this time around. Take the loss, and go enjoy the rest of the games. Like I said, you have the world cup coming soon...and you know everyone will be gunning for you then.
Enjoy the rest of the games...if you're watching...I am.
Peace.


No comments:

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda...Says who?

     So, I watch this program on NBC called "American Ninja Warrior" its a fun show that showcases agility, fitness, at...