Sunday, February 25, 2007

LIFE....IN 3 PARTS....


When someone comes into this world..you or I. The optimist would say that we are born anew. Given a fresh start with a life full of possibilities.
The pessimist, on the other hand, would say that we have just begun that long slow road to death.
Yet there are those still in betweeners(as I like to call my self), that say, we have been given the time....Now whatcha gonna do with it Bunkie?

Yes, sometimes it gets cut short....but there are the lucky few that get to live to that so-called "ripe old age"

Used to be revered....But is that so, nowadays?

With health care and insurances being what they are..who cares for the elderly? Some would say their families..but is that really so? I've seen so many just tossed aside, or left to fend on their own, that it scares the hell out of me, the thought of growing old.
And I have no children.

but I digress...I did say three parts.

When I was a child, hell when we were all children, did we worry about the future?
NO!
Our biggest worries were what we'd get for Christmas, our birthday's, and what we were going to be for Halloween.
Is Ronnie down the block going to be Superman this year?
I hope I get that new Hot Wheels set....with the loop the loop track!
I want a Bike for Christmas...my brother better not get one..I've been better than he has!

Shit like that.

We played...watched cartoons...went to school...traded marbles, cards...read comics..
never gave a care to the struggles of some old bastards starting conflicts over a rice paddy half a world away.

Till one day you're playing with a friend, and a bottle comes crashing too close for comfort. And you find out it wasn't because you did something wrong, really...it was because you were the wrong color..or actually, he was...and the assholes marching down the street for so-called peace, took exception to a Mexican-American kid, playing with his black friend...

Yeah..I never could understand that one...even as I was helping my friend clean the soda and glass from his hair...

later in life I came to find the group that sponsored the "rally", MECHA, were supposed to be all for the betterment of the Chicano people.

All these years they've been around and they haven't done a damn thing for the Chicanos but changed them from Chicanos to "Hispanics" Rah! Rah!

As I grew, I found that I was supposed to "do" something with my life.
my friend and I always wanted to write...we wrote short stories that never got anywhere....but we wrote. that was the point.
A few published poems...and some turned downed short stories...my ass headed off to college to think about teaching.

Real life can through curves at you like crazy.
I never finished..it got too expensive. I worked..went from relationship to relationship...and wondered that question again...

"You've have been given the time....Now whatcha gonna do with it Bunkie?"

I got married.

two parts down...

4 comments:

Jonzz said...

Ah, the tune of 'Seasons in the Sun' is suddenly playing in my head.

Wolfies Rants said...

oh puhleeeeze

Annie said...

*SMACKING JONZZ*

What the heck made you think of that song goober? Of course, we can't really explain much of what plays in Jonzz's head, can we. mmmm..

How strange to read different experiences of childhood. I can't recall being struck with a "race/color" issue or I probably wasn't aware of it.

Wolfies Rants said...

Of many things that stand out in my childhood memories...that had a great impact on me..and my political ways of thinking.

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda...Says who?

     So, I watch this program on NBC called "American Ninja Warrior" its a fun show that showcases agility, fitness, at...